Monday, November 29, 2010

What I Learned from Frosty

Last night, we decorated our Christmas tree. And, to help us get into the Christmas spirit, we had the Frosty the Snowman DVD going in the background. Now, I’ve probably seen that cartoon hundreds of time since I was a little girl. But, last night, one line just jumped out at me. I wasn’t really paying attention, so I don’t remember at exactly what point it occurred. At some point after Frosty woke up, he exclaimed, “I’m ALL living!” He said it with such a sense of wonder and excitement and enthusiasm. I just kept thinking: “How cool! He’s all living! He has a whole new state of being.” That phrase – I’m all living – has been stuck in my head ever since.

As Christians, shouldn’t we be exclaiming, “I’m all living!” as well? In Frosty’s case, it was the magic in that old silk hat they found that did the trick. In our case, it’s the Holy Spirit. I’m really not trying to compare the Holy Spirit to an old silk hat, but if you think about it, the Holy Spirit brings about that same sort of remarkable change in our spirits.

Colossians 2:13 says, “You were dead, because you were sinful and were not God’s people. But God let Christ make you alive, when He forgave all our sins.” After I heard Frosty, I kept wondering – when was the last time I got that excited about being alive – truly alive – in Christ? Do I walk around like “I’m all living!” or do I look more like the living dead? Sadly, it’s probably closer to the latter most of the time.

So, Frosty has motivated me to stir myself up and remind myself that “I’m all living!” Rather than walking around with my head hanging down just going through the motions of my day-to-day life, I want to take on life with all of the wonder and enthusiasm that Frosty portrayed – with the joy that comes from having a new life in Christ.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.2 Corinthians 5:17

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder Tonya! We really do have something to celebrate everyday!

    ReplyDelete