Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankful for... People

Wow! Now that I’ve decided to write these “gratitude blog” posts, I’ve got so many things to be thankful for that I don’t know where to start! So, I think that I’ll start with people. I’m so thankful for the many wonderful people that God has placed in my life. Here’s a list that includes many - but certainly not all – of the people who are a blessing in my life:

My wonderful husband – I don’t know how I ever got along without him! He has given me encouragement to try new things and to stretch myself in ways that I never thought I could. And, he has given me grace when I have failed. I love him with all of my heart, and I know that he loves me the same. Our wedding ceremony included the following words, and I can truly say that my husband has continued to live up to this charge:


It is your duty to be to Tonya a considerate, tender, faithful, loving husband; to support, guide, and cherish her in prosperity and trouble; to thoughtfully and carefully enlarge the place she holds in your life; to constantly show her the tokens of your love; to shelter her from danger; and to cherish for her a manly and unalterable affection. It being the command of God's Word, that husbands love their wives, even as Christ loved the Church and gave His own life for her.

My precious children – I’m not sure if I ever really understood unconditional love until I had children of my own. My children bring so much joy to my life – even though there are days when I wonder if aliens from outer space have invaded their bodies :-) My children love me even when I’m a grumpy mommy, and that’s not an easy thing to do. It’s a privilege to have the opportunity to love them and care for them and train them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

My faithful friendsProverbs 27:17 (The Message) says “You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another.” God has placed so many good friends in my life – friends who have celebrated with me in the good times and mourned with me in the bad times – friends who are closer than family in some cases. I’m so glad that God hasn’t called us to live this Christian life alone. Instead, he has placed us in community so that we can “do life together.” That’s so much better than being a lone ranger!

My esteemed mentors – Where would I be without those people who have invested so much time and energy into my life? I’ve had mentors at many different stages and in many different aspects of my life, and they have all played a huge part in encouraging and guiding me to become the person that I am today.

The cool thing about God is that he has chosen to use people to accomplish his will on the earth. He didn’t leave Jesus here to do it all Himself. Instead, He sent the Holy Spirit to empower US to do His work. In John 14:12-14, just before He was crucified, Jesus told His disciples: “Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”

I’m so very thankful that there are people who have chosen to be “Jesus with skin on” in my life, and I pray that somewhere along the way, I’ve been able to be the same thing for them.

For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.” Ephesians 1:15-16.

No comments:

Post a Comment