Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful for... Technology

Today I am thankful for technology. I know it seems like a trivial thing, but really – how did people ever get along without e-mail? What did we do before cell phones? And, how did we ever stay connected without facebook and twitter? Technology has enhanced our lives in so many ways.

I often think of the early missionaries. When they were preparing for their journey to the other side of the earth, they would sometimes pack their belongings in a coffin because they knew that they would never be coming back. They would endure long, miserable months in a tiny ship sailing across the ocean. And, when they arrived, their only means of communication with their friends and family was to write letters which took months to make it back home. Contrast that to modern day missionaries. My husband travelled to Africa this fall. He hopped on an airplane and arrived the next day. And, while it was a long flight by our standards, the travel time could be measured in hours. While he was there, he was able to text me pretty regularly, post blogs about his trip, and upload pictures to facebook for all of his friends to see.


The world is becoming smaller every day, and the opportunities that we have available to us are endless. Technology enables us to stay connected, but it also provides the tools that are needed to generally improve our quality of life in so many areas.


When I think of the evolution of technology just in my lifetime, I’m amazed. I wonder what incredible things my children will see in theirs…


"Therefore I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name." - Psalm 18:49

No comments:

Post a Comment