Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thankful for... Provision

Today, I am thankful for provision for all of my physical needs. I think in this case, the old saying “you never know what you have until it’s gone” really applies. While you shouldn’t have to compare yourself to others in order to be thankful for what you have, in this case it can help to put things into perspective. Let me explain.

My husband has been called to take the gospel to remote parts of the world, and at one point he had thought that he would need to go it alone without a wife and family to tie him down. So, when he met me, he decided to put me through a missionary bootcamp of sorts to make sure that I could cut it outside of North America - since I’m such a delicate southern girl. However, he forgot about the whole Steel Magnolias phenomenon and was very pleased when I passed his test with flying colors. I laugh about it now, but I really did learn some very valuable life lessons during that time.

I learned that I take it for granted that the lights will come on when I flip the switch. I learned that I never have to think twice about whether I’ll have enough clean water to drink or enough warm water for a shower. I learned that air conditioning is one of God’s greatest blessings – especially when it’s 100+ degrees and 99% humidity! I learned that a readily available Western-style toilet is one of life’s greatest luxuries. Many of these things are just part of an assumed baseline standard of living here in the US. However, there are millions of people around the world who don’t have clean water to drink or enough food to eat or even a clean, dry place to sleep at night. After experiencing some of those conditions myself, I became acutely aware of how abundantly blessed I am.

So, today, I am thankful for my house and my car. I’m thankful that I have plenty of food to eat and plenty of clean water to drink. I’m thankful for my job. I’m thankful for all of the little luxuries that I enjoy every day – television, radio, all manner of technology,... I’m thankful for heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. I’m thankful that I can take a hot shower any time I want to – day or night! I am thankful that I have clothes to wear. And, I am thankful that even in tough economic times, I’ve always had enough for me and for my family.

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.” – Philippians 4:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment