Sunday, November 21, 2010

Fortune Cookies and Oprah

As a general rule, I don’t let fortune cookies or Oprah Winfrey have too much influence on my actions. However, today, those two forces have conspired together to inspire a series of blog posts that I want to write this week.

First, the fortune cookie… We had lunch today at a Chinese restaurant, and when I opened my fortune cookie at the end of the meal, I found the following bit of wisdom: “Do you see difficulty behind every opportunity, or opportunity behind every difficulty?” Hmmmm… I had to think about that one, and I’ll confess that I didn’t really like my answer. I’m not always the most optimistic person, but lately, it seems like I’ve been more negative / complaining / whiney than usual – and I’m not proud of that.

As I pondered those thoughts, my mind turned to the Thanksgiving holiday that’s coming up this week, and I wondered whether infusing my life with a little more thankfulness might help to combat some of that negativity. Enter Oprah Winfrey… A few years ago, Oprah promoted the concept of a gratitude journal where you spend some time each day writing down things for which you are thankful. I actually thought that was pretty good advice at the time although I never implemented the practice myself. So, this week, I decided to use my blog as a gratitude journal to help me focus on the many blessings in my life.

I don’t know about you, but it’s easy for me to become overly focused on the hard or frustrating or negative things in my life. Dealing with those things takes a lot of emotional energy, so it’s natural for your focus to be drawn in that direction. But, I’m learning that if I’m not careful, those things can drain me dry. And, the fact of the matter is, I actually have it pretty good right now. There are definitely areas in my life where I’m struggling, but laus deo (Praise be to God!) – the good in my life far outweighs the bad. And, I know that God is in control and has a plan for everything to work together for my good, even if it’s not clear right now.

So, I’m going to take some time this week to pause and count my blessings. And, I’m going to write them down as a memorial - to let the world know how good God has been to me and to serve as a reminder for me one day in the future when things aren’t going so well.

I challenge you to do the same.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.Philippians 4:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment