Friday, November 12, 2010

Do Not Touch!

When I was boarding a plane yesterday, I noticed a round piece of metal attached to the jet bridge with big red letters that said “Danger! Do Not Touch!” At that moment, I was overwhelmed with the desire to reach out and touch that metal circle. I had to mentally slap myself on the hand to keep from doing it. I was thinking, “How could that little round piece of metal be dangerous? I mean, really, what would happen if I just touched it a little bit – really quickly? How bad could it be?”

I had a lot of other thoughts go through my mind after that – like “What in the world is wrong with me? Why I am I obsessing about that little metal circle?” And, then I thought – “Wow – I bet there’s a blog topic here somewhere!”


I think it’s easy for us to understand the desire to reach out and touch something that’s attractive in some way - like a beautiful Christmas ornament or a piece of crystal. Inherently, we know that there’s some risk there, but the beauty of the object is enough to make us momentarily forget about the risk. But, in this case, the risk – the danger – was literally written all over the object. And, yet, I still had to hold myself back from touching it.


What compels us to do crazy things – things that are obviously bad or harmful in some way? Why do we forge ahead when there are flashing lights all around us screaming “Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!” It’s the paradox of human nature, and it’s been plaguing us since the beginning of time.

Paul put it this way:

What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

Romans 7:14-24 (The Message)

If we stop right there, things look pretty hopeless. How in the world can we ever live up to God’s standards? I mean, it sounds like Paul couldn’t even do it! How can we be “good enough” when there’s this constant battle raging in us and around us?

Never fear! That’s not the end of the story. Just keep on reading Paul’s letter, and you’ll find the following:

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.Romans 8:1-2

And that, my friend, is some very good news!


No comments:

Post a Comment