Sunday, January 2, 2011

What's the Rush?

You know what they say – All good things must come to an end... That pretty much sums up how I’m feeling today. This is the last day of Christmas vacation, which means that tomorrow morning, I have to go back to work and my kids have to go back to school.

My hubby asked me if I dread going back to work, and truthfully, the answer is no. We have some exciting things planned for next year, and I’m looking forward to getting started on them. However, it occurred to me that there is one thing that I dread about next week – It’s all of the rushing around.

During the regular course of our week, we are constantly in a hurry to get from here to there. It will start tonight when my oldest daughter gets home from Bible study and we’ll have to hurry her right upstairs to bed so that she can get a good night’s sleep before going back to school. Then, we’ll get up and hurry out the door in the morning. We’ll get home in the afternoon, and hurry to finish homework in time for dinner. And, by the way, I’ll have to hurry to get dinner on the table since my husband has to be at a meeting at 6:30 and I have to be at church at 7:00 for worship team practice. Even on the weekends, it’s always hurry up to finish this in time to get somewhere or hurry up to finish that before someone comes over. By the time Monday rolls around again, I’m usually exhausted.

I don’t believe in making New Year’s resolutions. However, I do believe in setting goals, and this year, one of my goals is to try to get all of this rushing around under control. It can’t be good for the health and well-being of my family. I’m not sure how I’m going to do it, but for now, I’m going to believe that it’s possible and start looking for things that we can change. And, I’d like to take it a step further and build in some time for rest. It may seem silly to schedule time to rest, but I think we need to do it.

If you think about it, God actually instructed us to make time to rest. He even modeled the concept when He created the world. We see that He created all kinds of things during the first 6 days, but on the seventh day, He rested. When He gave the Ten Commandments to Moses, He included this one:

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.” Exodus 20:8-10

I was talking to one of my pastors about this concept just before Christmas, and we were discussing the fact that our busy culture makes it really difficult to practice the discipline of Sabbath rest. And, it is a discipline. It requires planning to insure that you can set aside time each week for rest. It requires commitment to guard that time and not fill it up with activities – no matter how good those activities might seem. And, I believe that it’s absolutely necessary for our physical and spiritual well-being.

So, if you ask me to do something over the next few weeks, don’t be surprised - or offended - if I say no. I know that it’s a radical concept, but that may be what it takes to achieve my goal…

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will release and relieve and refresh your souls.] Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good--not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.Matthew 11:28-30 (Amplified Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment