Friday, January 14, 2011

Why a Daniel Fast?

As mentioned in a couple of my previous blog posts, my church is participating in the Awake 21 time of prayer and fasting. And, I have a confession to make. I’ve really been struggling with the whole idea of a Daniel fast. I know that it’s Biblical – no issues there. But for me, fasting has always been about denying yourself of something and in its place, spending more time with God. When I’ve fasted in the past, I’ve typically done a juice or water fast, so it was natural to sit down with the Bible and my prayer journal during those times when I normally would have taken time to eat a meal or snack. But, with the Daniel fast, there seems to be so much focus on what you can and can’t eat and finding recipes that match up with the guidelines and spending extra time buying and cooking food that complies with the rules, that instead of making more time for God, I actually feel like I have less… And, honestly, I really enjoy fruits and vegetables, so I don’t feel like I’m sacrificing very much.

I realize that this is probably a prideful attitude, but it’s really been causing me problems. However, as I’ve thought about it and done some reading and listened to some teaching, a couple of things have started to become more clear to me. First, a pastor-friend of mine commented that any time we put down our “physical man” in a tangible way, it gives space for our “spiritual man” to rise up and have a stronger place in our daily lives. Even if the changes to my diet aren’t as radical as going to all juices and water, there is still a strong aspect of denying my flesh when I decide against the salty chips in favor of an apple or orange as my afternoon snack. Just that simple act helps to let our body and our mind and our spirit know that we are not going to be ruled by our flesh.

My 10-year old daughter made a great observation along the same lines. She had told one of her friends at school that she didn’t have any sweets in her lunchbox one day because she was fasting. So, the next day, he asked her what she was grounded from that day. She explained to him that she wasn’t grounded from eating sweets because being grounded means that you are being punished. She told him that fasting from sweets meant that she was not eating them because it was her choice – not a punishment. I’m coming to understand that it’s the act of making that choice to eat – or not eat – a certain way that helps to bring our spirit into alignment with God’s purpose, which is one of the great benefits of fasting.

Another thing that God has been revealing to me is that there is a strong connection between our physical health and our spiritual health. There have been lots of books and articles written on the health benefits of the type of diet that Daniel followed. One of the things that God has been showing me for 2011 is that I need to take better physical care of myself. I’ve already written a blog post on the idea of making time for Sabbath rest. I think that being more intentional about eating a healthy diet is also important, and I’m coming to understand that this Daniel fast is going to help me get a head start on my goal for the year. We can’t be effective for God’s kingdom if we’re stressed out, run down, tired, and sick all the time.

So, five days into Awake 21, I’m finally starting to embrace the Daniel fast. I’m understanding that it’s a way to get my physical body prepared so that I can hear God’s voice, get in alignment with His plans for me, and take off running.

Daniel said: ‘ “Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” So (the guard) agreed to this and tested them for ten days. At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead. To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds. ‘ -
Daniel 1:12-17

1 comment:

  1. I, too struggled with the Daniel Fast, that it would be viewed as a diet, and it has been confirmed by the flurry of emails and facebook posts trading recipes and suggesting restaurants that offer vegetarian foods. I believe fasting has only one purpose...to bring me into closer community with God, to seek and understand His will and his Word. Whether it is done personally or corporately, it is intensely personal and private between me and my Lord. With that said, my "fast" is to abstain from things that keep me from seeking the Kingdom. For me, that is sitting and flipping through the hundreds of cable channels and watching the filth I've seen. I will worship, read or watch a movie, but I won't be glued to network television any longer.

    Here's what the Lord showed me in the Scripture: "royal" and "choice" and "rich" foods from the King's table has led me to abstain from food that I have not prepared with my own hands. While preparing meals I am prompted to praise and worship Him. The thing that I like about Daniel is that he diet and walk with the Lord were natural, "as was his custom" is what Scripture says. I want that...to have my life walked out with God...to make it "my custom" to worship, praise and love my Lord in daily community with Him. I believe the Lord speaks to all of us uniquely, so each fast will be unique.

    I pray God blesses you abundantly for being obedience to His leading during this period.

    ReplyDelete