Monday, January 31, 2011

I need a little discipline

I know - It’s been a while since my last post. As part of the Awakening 21 fast, I decided to take some time away to think and pray rather than write. And, I’ve done a lot of reflection about this blog and how much time and energy I should devote to it. I feel like I have some things to say that are worth sharing, but I don’t want blogging to become a burden – or an end unto itself.

I reminded myself that my goal when I started the blog was to be more intentional about meditating on and writing down the things that God was teaching me, and I believe that , for now, that should continue to be my goal. I also want to keep some level of accountability and not be totally random in my journaling, so I’ve decided to set a goal of posting twice a week. I’ll post something worship-related on Wednesday – either a song or a devotional thought or both, and I’ll post one other time during the week as well. If I have more to say and more time to write, that’s great and that might generate more content at some point in time. But, for now, I think that twice a week is a reasonable and attainable goal for me.


One of the main things that I learned during our time of fasting was that I really don’t have enough discipline in my life. I think I did at one point in time because I never would have made it through my PhD program without it. But now, I seem to be more in the mode of just doing the best that I can to keep all of the balls in the air and hoping that I don’t drop an important one. I’m learning that I need to be more disciplined in what I eat, when I sleep, how I manage my household, building relationships, spending time with God, writing this blog… and the list goes on and on. I’m learning that if something is important, it requires us to be intentional about making time for that thing. I’m learning that there is a balance that needs to be achieved in our life that is not going to “just happen” on its own.

At the core of the word disciple is the word discipline. We don’t really like it and we sometimes try to forget it, but there it is – just staring us in the face. So, this year I’m pursuing discipline in order to pursue discipleship in order to equip myself to pursue the Great Commission in the spirit of the Great Commandment. And, at least for now, this blog will continue to be a part of that pursuit.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” – Matthew 28:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment