Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Worship Wednesday - A Moment of Silence

This week, instead of sharing a worship song, I'm going to share a scripture that illustrates an important aspect of worship that we often overlook - the concept of stillness. I love music, but sometimes my most profound moments of worship come when I tune everything else out and just get quiet and meditate on who God is. Psalm 46:10 (NIV) says:

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth."

I love that! Be still and KNOW - not think, not hope - KNOW that He is God.

But, if you want a more modern take on this scripture - one that captures the importance of stillness for those of us who are caught up in the frenetic activity that defines so many of our lives - check out how The Message puts the same verse:

"Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God!"

Can you relate?

The discipline of stillness is an important component of worship, and I think the constant barage of "input" that we are faced with today - iPods, smart phones, internet, radio, tv, you name it - has made it uncomfortable, if not almost impossible, for people to stop and be still.

So, think about it - when was the last time you stopped to take a long, loving look at your High God? If it's been a while, I invite you to take a moment, turn off all of your electronic devices, and give it a try...

No comments:

Post a Comment