Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Good idea or God idea?

When I was putting my children to bed a few nights ago, I had the following conversation with my oldest daughter:

“Mommy, do you think that Daddy will bring us back something from Africa?”
“I’m sure that he will.”
“Do you think he’ll bring us back an orphan?”
“Um, no, I’m pretty sure that he won’t.”
“But, why not?”

So, I proceeded to explain to her about the process of adopting a child from overseas – the paperwork, the adoption fees, etc. And, I gave her a list of reasons why we probably won’t be adopting right now. But, I also told her that if she felt really strongly that we should adopt an orphan, then she should pray and ask God to make a way for us. So, she said that she would. And, as I was walking out the door, she said, “Mommy, I want you to pray, too.” Yikes!

We had always thought that we might adopt a child one day, but we’ve gotten older, and finances have gotten tighter, and… and… and… There’s a whole list of reasons – or maybe they’re excuses – why it’s not a “good idea” for us to adopt. But, could it be a “God idea”? I’m not completely closed to the idea, but I’m not really jumping up and down about it, either. And, it scares the stuff out of me to think that my daughter – with her sincere little girl faith – has decided to take this up as a prayer campaign.

I’ve had a scripture running through my head (Psalm 68:6) for several weeks. I thought I knew why, and it had nothing to do with orphans. But, for the last few days, my thoughts have been going something like this:

I’m so glad that we have the chance to help these orphans in Swaziland. (God sets the lonely in families…) We can sponsor some of the kids – We don’t need to adopt. (God sets the lonely in families…) After all, we can’t afford to adopt right now. (God sets the lonely in families…) We’re just too old! (God sets the lonely in families…)

Do you think that maybe God is trying to get a point across? Do you think that He’s trying to get me to open my heart to the idea of doing more? Hmmmm…

To be honest, I don’t know if God wants us to adopt or if He’s doing something else in my heart. I do know that He’s going to have to do some miraculous things in order for it to be feasible for us to adopt in the natural. And, I’m confident He can do them if He wants us to travel down that road.

So, my question to you is this: Is God speaking to you about something in an area of your life where you’ve already closed the door? Could He be asking you to open that door back up and consider what He would have you to do? Have you let your “good ideas” block out His “God ideas?”

Being challenged by my child to pray about it was a wake-up call for me. I’m going to take that challenge. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment