Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hot but not bothered

This has been a long, hot, humid summer. We’ve had highs in the 90’s and lows in the 70’s for weeks on end without a break. The humidity has been almost unbearable. And, I’ve complained – a lot… In my defense, I’ve also offered up quite a few prayers of thanks for air conditioning. But, generally, I’ve been discontented with the weather this summer and I’ve had more than my share of grumpy days as a result.

And, then, I read this beautiful blog post, and I had to stop and repent. The little bit of discomfort I’ve had to endure this summer is nothing compared to what millions of people around the world experience on a daily basis. It may be hot, but I have shelter and air conditioning and plenty of clean water (and sweet tea!) to drink to keep me hydrated. And, I have an air conditioned car to drive back and forth to my air conditioned job. And, I have a beautiful, healthy family who loves me – even when I’m grumpy!

Most of us have it so good here in America. It’s easy to become complacent and forget about those who are less fortunate. It’s easy to become focused on our desires and wants and the pursuit of MORE. Instead of focusing on what we need, it would do us well to be thankful for what we have – a real, true, heartfelt kind of thankful. Instead of constantly thinking about how we can get the next thing on our list, we would do well to think about what we can give – how we can share our abundance with others around us.

I know so many people, who have so much stuff, but it never seems to be enough and they never seem to be happy. They are never content. In some sense, the “American Dream” has been mutated to become the pursuit of more – more money, more fame, more, more, more, more…. But, the problem is – More is never enough. More will never bring contentment – but a heart of gratitude and a recognition that the source of all of these “good gifts” is your heavenly Father can help you get there.

In Philippians 4:6-7 (The Message), Paul says this: “Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.”

So, today, rather than focusing on how you wish the weather would cool off or how you wish you could take that vacation to the Bahamas or how you wish you could buy that new car, take some time to be thankful for what you have – Take some time to offer up praises and to let God know your concerns. And then, let him “settle you down” into a place of contentment that isn’t dependent upon what you have but, instead, is grounded in Who’s you are…

No comments:

Post a Comment