Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Learned, earned, or born with it?

Here’s a question that’s been on my mind a lot recently.  Is leadership something you learn – or something you earn – or are some people just born with it?  I imagine that it’s probably a combination of all three, but it’s interesting to watch as people are faced with a leadership opportunity.  Some people run from it.  Some people face it head on with a little bit of fear and a good dose of determination.  And, some people go after it aggressively, intent on grabbing the opportunity no matter what the cost.

As someone who has been in a leadership role for a while, I’m now having to take that to a new level as I have been tasked with leading a new leader…  I’m finding that it’s a challenge to mentor a leader who has a leadership style that is vastly different from my own.  And, it’s made me take a hard look at myself as a leader and has caused me to think about what I really value in a leader.

There are a lot of different leadership models out there, but the one that I try to follow is the example of the servant-leader that was illustrated so beautifully in the life of Jesus.  I still have a long way to go, but these are the leadership qualities that I try to emulate:

·         Compassion – This quality was illustrated over and over again in Jesus’ life and ministry.  He would look on His followers with compassion and that would motivate Him to care for them or provide for them or teach them.  As a leader, it is so important to value those whom you have been entrusted to lead.  They are important.  They are the reason that you have been placed in a position of authority.  A great leader carefully shepherds his followers and treats them with the respect that he also desires to receive from them.

·         Integrity – A leader is only as good as his word.  It’s impossible to succeed as a leader without the trust of your followers.  Trust is born out of integrity.  Jesus was the embodiment of integrity.   Isaiah 53:9 says that there was “no deceit in His mouth.”  He spoke the truth.  Period.  As leaders, we should, too.

·         No compromise – A leader must remain true to his core values at all costs.  He may be required to cooperate with others to find a creative solution to a problem, but cooperation and “finding the middle ground” cannot lead to moral compromise.  Taking the “narrow road” may not make you the most popular leader, but it does insure that you’ll be able to sleep at night – and in most cases, people respect a leader who refuses to compromise even when they don’t agree with his choices.  Jesus was the perfect example of a leader who refused to compromise even when the cost of standing firm was ultimately his very life.  Don’t let fear force you to compromise.

·         Clear direction – Jesus provided clear direction to His followers.  They knew what was required of them.  When Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?,” He clearly replied, “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.”  (John 14:5-7) He laid the plan out before them so that they could understand what was required of them.  Proverbs 29:18 says, “Where there is no vision, the people perish.”  As a leader, you have to clearly communicate the vision so that your followers can run with it. 

·         Lead by example – A leader cannot expect his followers to go where he is not willing to go himself.  Modeling the behavior that you expect from your followers is one of the most effective ways to teach them, and it will ultimately earn you their respect, devotion, and loyalty as well.  The most beautiful example of Jesus as a servant-leader is given in John 13 when He washes His disciples’ feet.  After He is done, He says, “Do you understand what I was doing?  You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am.  And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet.  I have given you an example to follow.  Do as I have done to you.” – John13:12-15.  Jesus eventually laid down his life for these men, but many of them later gave their lives in service to Him as well.  They had seen His life and His example, and they were willing to follow no matter the cost.

Thinking back to my original question, I never desired a position of leadership – I was placed into it.  I’ve had to learn to be a leader as I’ve faced new challenges and opportunities every day.  As leaders, we will have seasons of success and seasons of failure, but through it all, if we can anchor ourselves to a few guiding principles, we can learn to lead with a steady hand. 
I’ve chosen to anchor myself to the principles outlined above.  What are the leadership principles that help to guide you?

No comments:

Post a Comment