Saturday, May 19, 2012

#firstworldproblem

I drive an older, high-mileage car.  In spite of the fact that I won’t win any “cool points” for having a fancy ride, there are a lot of advantages to driving this car – the main one being that I don’t have a car payment.  However, driving an older car has its downside as well.  Right now, as we are easing into the warm humid days of summer in NC, I am frustrated by the fact that the air conditioner in my car is only working intermittently.  It works great on cool, dry days.  But, let the temperature go above 75 and the humidity start to climb, and you can count on the fact that the air conditioner will stop working about 5 minutes after you turn it on.  We’ve had it in the shop multiple times, but they can’t seem to find the problem.

So, as I was driving to work one day this week and the warm, humid air started to pour out of the vents in my car, I was complaining in my head and thought, “If I post my frustration with this problem on facebook, I’ll have to tag it with #firstworldproblem.”   I mean, there are people all over the world who would be thankful just to have a car – with or without air conditioning.  There are people who walk to work every day in the blazing heat and the pouring rain.  Some of those people don’t even have shoes.  And, here I am, complaining because the a/c in my car isn’t working right…
But, here’s the challenge that comes from labeling things as a #firstworldproblem.  Most of the time, that kind of thinking leads to guilt.  We start to compare ourselves to the rest of the world and begin to feel guilty when we think about what we have and what they don’t have.  And, I’m not sure that’s the right response.  Feeling guilty for what I have isn’t going to help solve the problems of the world around me.
So, as I was rolling down the road in my hot, steamy car, I started thinking – If guilt is not the right response, what should our response be?  Because, poverty and sickness and war and human trafficking are real problems, and they require a real response.  As a Christian, I believe that I am required to do more than just recognize that those problems exist.  But, instead of responding with guilt – which is an inward focused emotion – I believe that the right response is compassion, which is an outward focused emotion.

Guilt says, “Wow – look at what I have.  People are going to think that I’m terrible because I have so much when others have so little.  Maybe I should hide what I have.  Maybe I am a terrible person…  Guilt may ultimately lead to action, but the action is born out of an inward need to redeem yourself rather than an outward desire to serve others.

Compassion says, “Look at those people who are hurting and dying.  My heart aches for them.  I have so much.  How can I use what I have to meet their needs?  How can I show love to the least of these?  Compassion leads to action that is born out of an outward concern for the world around you.

If you have been blessed with wealth, you don’t need to feel guilty.  You need to recognize the true source of your wealth.  You need to understand that every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father of lights (James 1:16-17), and He has given this wealth to you for a reason.  He expects you to be a good steward of His resources.  When faced with others in need, compassion should compel you to ask how you can use your resources to help meet the need.   And, if your bank account is looking a little low, that doesn’t excuse you from responding with compassion as well.  You can pray.  You can partner with others to combine your resources for a bigger impact.  Get creative!  We all have a part to play. 
So, when you recognize that you have a #firstworldproblem – stop and take a moment to be thankful for what you do have.  I am truly thankful for “Bessy” – my old Subaru – even without air conditioning.  But, don’t fall into the trap of feeling guilty.  Instead, look at the world around you through eyes of compassion and ask what you can do to help…

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” – 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

1 comment:

  1. Deep calls to deep...
    Thankful that you share the deep, Tonya.

    ReplyDelete