Saturday, February 5, 2011

Where's the light?

I think that I have SAD. No – that’s not a typo. I don’t think that I AM sad. I think that I HAVE SAD – Have you ever heard of it? It stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). It’s basically a condition where your mood is affected by extended periods of cloudy, gray weather. And, let me tell you – we’ve had more than our share of cloudy, gray weather this winter. It makes me want to hibernate and just stay in bed – it makes me grumpy – it makes me moody – it makes me long for the sunshine. I look at the weather forecast every night hoping against hope that the weatherman is calling for a sunny day. I don’t even care if it’s cold. I just need sun. I need light. I need it just like I need food or water. I’m like a daisy. I start to wilt when I don’t get enough sunlight.

As I sat and looked out my window at the drizzly rain falling from the cold gray sky this morning, it occurred to me that people who don’t know Jesus must feel like this all the time. Metaphorically speaking, they aren’t walking in the light. They’re in a constant state of darkness, and even though they may not be able to put their finger on it, that’s what’s causing them to feel anxious and overwhelmed. That’s why they can’t seem to find any peace in their lives. That’s why there is an emptiness inside of them. There’s a longing for something that just can’t be fulfilled until someone, somewhere shines the light of Jesus into their lives.


Matthew 5:14-16 (The Message) says:

You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand – shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.”

Jesus made it clear that WE are to be lights in a dark world. I’ve been thinking about that a lot today. When I think about how much I long to escape the physical darkness of this winter weather we’re having, how much more must those around me be longing to escape their spiritual darkness. If I could flip a switch and turn on the sun right now, I would be ecstatic! Unfortunately, I can’t do that – I don’t have the power. But, guess what – I do have the power to shine a spiritual light into the darkness of someone else’s life. So, the question becomes - How can I spread a little SON-shine today?

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.” 1Peter 2:9

No comments:

Post a Comment