Sunday, February 13, 2011

Is it really meaningless?

I’ve been drawn to the book of Ecclesiastes this week, and after reading it through a couple of times, I’ve decided that wise old King Solomon was a bit of a downer! Consider:

’Meaningless! Meaningless!’ says the Teacher. ‘Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.’” – Ecclesiastes 1:2

Or how about this:

All things are wearisome, more than one can say.” – Ecclesiastes 1:8

And that’s just from the first chapter! There’s definitely more of the same throughout the rest of the book. To be fair, there are some encouraging thoughts as well. However, as I think I mentioned in my last post, I’ve been in a bit of a funk this week, so it didn’t take much for me to get right in there with Solomon. “All things are wearisome” pretty much sums up my outlook from the last few days.

But, in spite of the slightly depressing tone of the book, I can’t seem to get enough of it. There’s some insight buried in there for me, and I just haven’t been able to tease it all out yet. I’m searching for that nugget of wisdom that will help me find the balance between my vocation and my calling while still having time to enjoy my life and my family.

I believe that some of that wisdom is buried in Ecclesiastes because Solomon also says things like: “(God) has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil – this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere Him.” – Ecclesiastes 3:11-14

That thought reminds me of Paul’s statement in Philippians that he had learned to be content whatever the circumstances - or Timothy’s statement that godliness with contentment is great gain.

Contentment – satisfaction – those are not necessarily words that I would use to describe the vocational aspects of my life right now. Sigh… So, I’m hoping that Solomon can help me in my quest to find satisfaction when “all things are wearisome” and “everything is meaningless…”

If you have any wisdom to offer along these lines, I’d love for you to share it with me as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment