Friday, December 3, 2010

Time...

I read a couple of great blog posts this week about time. They came at the subject from slightly different angles, but the gist of both posts was that if we learn to manage ourselves, then time (or the lack thereof!) suddenly becomes much less of an issue. John Maxwell makes the point that we need to manage our lives, not our time, because ultimately, we all have the same amount of time. It’s up to us how we use it. And, in Greg Darley’s words, he’s “calling bull” on all of us who use the excuse that we don’t have enough time to pursue our passions. He says the time is now!

As a busy working mom who’s trying to squeeze in time around the edges for my passion for worship and music – as well as finding time to work on my newest passion – this blog – I frequently find myself thinking, “I don’t have time.” However, if I’m really truthful, I should probably be saying, “I don’t make time.” I know that there’s a balance because I do need to spend time with my husband and my kids – and I have to eat and sleep occasionally – but I probably play the time card more often than I should.

I guess that a lot of it comes down to good old self-discipline and making good decisions about what we are – and aren’t – going to do. It also requires giving some thought ahead of time to what’s really important. If that’s settled, then it becomes much easier to prioritize and make the right choices when faced with options about how to spend our time.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.” – Ecclesiastes 3:1


No comments:

Post a Comment