Monday, March 19, 2012

Smelling like - bacon?

Have you ever fried bacon for breakfast in the morning? The delicious aroma wafts through the house and beckons everyone to come and enjoy some yummy goodness. And, once the bacon is gone, the aroma lingers in the house – and on your clothes and in your hair – for the rest of the day – a tangible reminder of the breakfast that you enjoyed that morning.

Did you ever think about the fact that each of us gives off an aroma as well? 2 Corinthians 2:14-16 says, “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?”

Did you ever wonder about your aroma? I’ve been thinking about it a lot today (and not just because I fried bacon for breakfast).

You see, we have a friend visiting this week. He has stayed with us many times before. And, while he’s here (and for days after he leaves), there is a noticeable change in the atmosphere in our home. It hit me this morning that he carries with him the aroma of Christ – and it lingers even after he’s gone – and it’s a beautiful thing. And, I wondered – what aroma do I carry with me when I visit in someone else’s home? Do I leave a “sweet smelling savor” behind, or do I leave behind a lingering stench?

Your aroma is determined by where you spend your time. If you spend your time in the kitchen standing over a pan of bacon, you’ll eventually start to smell like bacon. If you spend your time in the presence of God, you’ll start to take on the “fragrance of the knowledge of Him.” You get the idea. It’s as simple as that – If you want to know what you smell like, just take a look at where you’re spending your time.

I don’t know about you, but I could definitely stand to freshen up my fragrance a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment