Saturday, October 8, 2011

Steve Jobs, were you ready?

Steve Jobs. Creative genius. Technology innovator. Gone much too soon at the age of 56.

It’s amazing to look at what he accomplished during his life. And, it’s sad to think of what else he might have done had he been given the privilege of living another 20 – 30 years.

As a technology product manager, I’m amazed and inspired by Steve Jobs. He was able to find that sweet spot where every product that he created delighted its user. We all strive for that, but few of us ever get there.

By all accounts, he was a happy man. He loved his job. He had a wonderful family. He had overcome obstacles that enabled him to enjoy his success even more. He seemed to have it all. And, his loss has been felt deeply around the world by people who never knew the man but were touched by his technology.

By his own admission, Steve believed in himself and followed his own intuition – religiously. That belief was at the core of his success. But, the question that has haunted me since his death is whether or not he believed in something bigger than himself – an Almighty Creator – the God of the universe.

Steve believed that death was the great “reset” button – clearing out the old and making way for the new. But, did Steve understand that death is not the end? It’s only the beginning. His 56 years here on the earth were just a blip when compared to eternity.

As I listen to all of the tributes, I can’t help but wonder whether he had the important things in order. There’s a cartoon making its way around cyberspace showing Steve Jobs at the pearly gates waiting for St. Peter to find his name and telling him that there’s an app for that. It’s a funny cartoon, but it made me wonder... When Steve stepped out of this life and into eternity - when he heard God’s voice - how did he respond? Did it go something like this?

Steve, did you know me?
I created the iPhone and the iPad.

But, did you know me?
I changed the way the world interacts with technology.

That’s great – but, did you know me? Really know me?
I was a good man – just ask anyone…

But, did you know me?

I don’t know how Steve answered. I hope and pray that it was yes.

What will your answer be?

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’” - Matthew 7:21-23

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Using the new of the day to post the good news. Great post Tonya!

    ReplyDelete